5 Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes
Posted on: November 11, 2016
Easy Cheesy Zucchinni Bake
- 2 medium-sized zucchinni, cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2 medium- sized yellow squash, cut in slices or half-moon slices
- 2-4 T chopped fresh basil (or even less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil)
- 2 T thinly sliced freen onion
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup low-fat white cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan
- salt and fesh ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray an 8″ x 8″ baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. Wash the squash and cut in slices or half-moon slices. Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop. Slice green onions.
- Combine the sliced squash, chopped basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, and both kinds of cheese and stir together until veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Put the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.
- When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese. Put dish back in oven and bake 10-15 mins longer, or until cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked. Serve hot.
Butternut Pecan Sweet Potato Mash
*Squash + Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large (1 lb.) sweet potatoes, halved
- 6 cups butternut squash
- 2 Tbsp grape seed or melted cocunut oil, divided
- Pinch eash sea salt + black pepper
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch sea salt
optional: 1 Tbsp butter
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 F and lightly grease 2 large backing sheets, along with a small baking dish.
- 2. Add halved sweet potatoes to one baking sheet, and the cubed butternut squash to another. Drizzle each with the coconut oil.
- 3. Sprinkle with pinch of salt and pepper. Rub sweet potatoes together to distribute oil, and toss the butternut squash as well.
- 4. Roast squash for 15 min, then remove from oven and test doneness. It should be very fork tender and easily mashed. Set aside.
- 5. Depending on the size of your potatoes, they should take anywhere from 20-35 mins total. Remove from oven when very soft to touch. Reduce oven to 250F.
- 6. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped pecans and toast for 5 mins, stirring frequently. If smoking or browning too quickly, turn heat to medium-low/low.
- 7. At the 5-minute mark, add coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to coat and cook for another 1-2 mins. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 8. Peel sweet potatoes and add to large mixing bowl with butternut squash. Use a fork, potato masher, or whisk to thoroughly mash.
- 9. Add another pinch salt + pepper, ground cinnamon, maple syrip, and butter. Mash once more to combine, then taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- 10. Transfer mashed squash and potatoes to prepared baking dish and top with toasted pecans. Add 1 Tbsp butter, cubed, to add additional moisture and flavor (optional).
- 11. Bake for 10-15 mins, or until completely warmed through and fragrant. Let cool friefly then serve.
Spiced Appl Cider Glazed Turkey Breast
- 4-5lb Turkey Breast
- 1/2 cup sage leaves, minced
- 1 stick butter
- 4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 cups spiced apple cider
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup spiced apple cider or chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Place turkey breast, brest side up, on a rack in a roasting pan.
- In a food processor, combine the butter, sage, salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. Process to make a paste. Gently loosen the skin from the meat with your fingers and smear half of the paste directly on the meat. Spread the remaining paste evenly on the skin. Cover and let sit overnight to marinade.
- In a sauce pan combine 1 1/2 cups spiced apple cider with honey. Bring to a boil and let reduce to 1/2 cup. When it cools it will become a syrup.
- Pour 1/2 cup spiced cider into bottom of the roasting pan. Brush the turkey breast with spiced apple cider glaze. Roast the turkey for 1.5-2 hours, turning half-way and basting again with glaze, until the skin is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer registers 165 F when inserted into thickiest area of breast. If the skin is over-browning, tent with aluminum foil. When the turkey is done, transfer to a platter and cover with foil and allot to rest at room temp. for 15-20 mins.
- While turkey is resting strain the drippings into a sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk together. It will come together like a blob and the excess grease will remain separate. Carefully pour our grease. Return to thge burner and whisk in vinegar and milk, add apple cider or chicken stock until you reach desired consistency.
- Slice turkey and serve!
Skinny Corn Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 35-40 minutes, 12 servings
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 box corn muffin mix
- 1 (15.75-ounce) can no-salt-added whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (14.75-ounce) can no-salt-added cream style golden sweet corn
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2. In large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and egg white, and stir in the melted butter and the yogurt.
- 3. Stir in the corn muffin mix anf both types of corn.
- 4. Pour into the prepared baking dish and bake until the center is set and the top is lightly golden brown, 35-40 minutes.
Cranberry Blueberry Crisp
- Serves: 9
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 cups light brown sugar
- 7 Tbsp buttery spread, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup flour blend
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 Tsp cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Rinse and drain the cranberries and place them and the frozen blueberries in a square baking dish. Sprinkle with the sugar.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour blend, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
- 3. Add the butter spread, and mix together using a pastry cutter until it resembles a crumb topping.
- 4. Spread the crub topping over the berries and bake at 375 F for about 35 mins or until the berries are bubbly and the crumb topping is lightly browned.
- 5. Serve!