9 Ideas for Small Remodeling Projects
If you’re looking for home remodeling ideas, chances are you’re thinking BIG. Ripping out walls, redoing your kitchen or adding a room may be the first things that spring to mind when you think of remodeling. But you might be surprised to learn that small projects typically yield a greater return on investment than large remodeling jobs (10 percent higher or more!).
So even if you have a smaller budget, there are plenty of home remodeling ideas you can use to improve your home, increase your equity and get more bang for your buck.
- Replace worn out windows. It may not be a hugely visible upgrade, and it’s not as exciting as some other options, but updating windows can cut heating and cooling bills, help prevent moisture in your home and improve the value of the property.
- Add built-in bookcases or media units. Keep them simple and stylish, but consider clever ideas like bookcases built into staircases or turning an awkward nook into a library and reading area. Storage is a big plus in any home!
- Refinish and refurbish your deck and outdoor area. Whether it’s restaining and repairing a wooden deck or sandblasting and finishing a concrete patio, upgrading your outdoor space can have a huge impact on your home.
- Retile a bathroom or add a tiled backsplash in your kitchen. Tiling (even removing old tile) is a cheap, easy and quick way to give a bathroom or a kitchen a facelift, even if you can’t afford a major remodel right now. As long as the other elements in the room are in good shape, the room will still look like you spent a fortune on it.
- Refinish your hardwood floors. Hardwood floors tend to start looking a little shabby after a few years, or maybe yours have been hidden under carpet. Sanding and refinishing your floors is an affordable way to transform the look and feel of your home.
- Update an outdated fireplace. A wood-burning fireplace is a great addition to any home, but many look like they’re stuck in a décor time warp. Repainting a brick surround or adding stone or reclaimed wood cladding and updating the mantle can change the whole look of a room.
- Add wainscoting, a chair rail or molding panels to the walls in a formal dining room, and then paint or wallpaper the walls in a dramatic color to take the room from ho hum to holy moly!
- Switch out light fixtures, faucets and showerheads for new, updated versions. It’s a quick way to modernize any space on a budget.
- Update your kitchen by painting cabinetry and adding a new countertop.
Any updates you choose to make to your home are a good idea, and spending money improving anything in your house – from installing a security system to adding a home theater room to finishing a basement – will pay off down the line, whether in added resale value or in lower maintenance costs.
Browse the Internet, read blogs like ours and make a list of all the home remodeling ideas that appeal to you. Then, when you have the time, inclination or budget, tackle them one at a time.
Professional Group. Quality of work was exceptional. Did what they said they would. Stayed on schedule. Would definitely hire again.— Maxwell R.
We are very happy with the service provided by Heritage Builders. As of now, they have built our two homes. We love working with Greg Mitchell…— Corinthia D.
We have used Heritage Builders for two different projects and we are thrilled with the results…— Catherine